One of the more challenging and time-consuming steps in stripping and refinishing floors is ensuring that the edges and corners are free of finish and dirt buildup.
Look like a professional by taking the extra time to remove all the finish from the edges and corners.
The following process is recommended to make your next strip and recoat look its best:
- Make sure you have proper personnel protective equipment such as gloves and safety goggles and set up wet floor signs.
- Properly dilute the stripper according to label directions.
- Pour the stripper onto the floor and let it sit or dwell for 10 minutes.
- Take a razor blade scraper on an extension pole and scrape the edges of the floor along the baseboards or display shelves.
- Use a “Doodle Bug” and a black strip pad to remove any excess finish along the edges.
- Take a floor squeegee to pull the stripper solution from along the edges onto the center of the aisle.
- Pick up solution with an auto scrubber.
- Rinse the floor with clean water if necessary.
- Apply new floor finish along the edges with the first and final coat. All other coats in between should not go any closer than a few inches of the edge. This will help speed up the removal process next time around.
Product Manager, Floor Care, Betco Corporation
Rob is an avid Cleveland sports fan and hopes to one day experience a championship. He also enjoys hanging out with his wife and 3 kids.