An incident involving someone slipping and falling can occur virtually anywhere in or outside of your long term care facility. Eliminating falls can never totally be achieved. However, knowing what to do in case of a slip and fall accident can drastically help everyone involved.
Understanding how to handle a slip or fall makes you a tremendous asset to your facility and to the person involved. By using the right techniques to address the situation, you become vital in helping the victim as well as your company.
The following seven steps can ensure that you will be able to handle a situation involving a slip and fall incident and more importantly, the victim:
- First and foremost, attend to the needs of the fallen person expressing verbal concern for their well being.
- Call a supervisor for assistance in notifying the appropriate authorities. If needed, notify a trained employee of the accident and have them go to the site of the fallen person immediately.
- Make sure someone stays with the victim until medical personnel arrives.
- Pay attention to all body movements of the victim and note if the movements support their pain complaints.
- Identify the cause of the accident.
- Observe the scene and write down the information on an incident or accident report. It is also a good idea to take a picture of where the accident occurred as well as the surroundings.
- Have the area cleaned following the established procedures.
Time is critical in resolving incidents. If the accident is related to floor care products, notify your chemical manufacturer immediately. Betco has experts on staff that can assist you with slip and fall accidents.
Rob Dodson is the Product Manager for Floor Care & Retail at the Betco Corporation. Rob is an avid sports fan and hopes to one day experience a championship. In his free time he enjoys hanging out with his wife and 3 kids. Click here to contact Rob directly.